2. Electricity disconnected, and no proper reason being given for it,giving rise to the worry that it will happen again. Multiple visits to bank and BESCOM office. This is one of the biggest messes, with different BESCOM personnel giving me widely varying reasons why the power was disconnected. One lady at the office asked, "Since you've got the power back, why are you complaining?" All the contents of my freezer lost.
3. Driving licence expired, since I crossed 60. Process of renewal under way. I have to apply in the "prescribed form" and stand for a photograph (which is not shown to me). I cannot take delivery of the licence, but must wait for it to be delivered by Registered Post, and hope I am at home when the postman comes.
4. UPS batteries died...it was not just the distilled water in the batteries going down, but the batteries themselves had run down in five months. Since I don't have cell phone on which I can access the numbers of the battery repair people, the process of getting them home to check it took a while. Batteries have been taken away, recharging under way. Waiting for the people to come and re-install the batteries. Then, if there are still problmes, will have to call the UPS people and go through a similar process.
5. Cable TV set top box died. Contacting the cable guy took 3 days, getting him to come home, Replacement set top box given and process of repair under way. Will have to wait at home the day he comes to reinstall it.
6. Landline cordless phone not working properly. Have to find time to go and buy another one. It is very irritating to find the handsets suddenly dying in my hand. Have to find someone to try and repair it, or get another one.
7. Cell phone died in the US and still under inspection, I may have to buy another phone, because I am not sure, even if I get this lemon repaired, if it will continue to work. Multiple visits have been made. Not having a cell phone that can access my Google contacts means a lot of inconvenience.
8. Printer died. Friends want to buy me a new one as a birthday gift, so I'm waiting for them to find some time. Meanwhile feeling the lack of a printer.
9. State Bank of Mysore account ( the one in my name alone) made inactive. I was so disgusted I went and closed the account, which I cannot do with the Vijaya Bank accounts. (Even closing the account took 4 visits as the Branch Manager was never around.)
10. Good tenant vacated. Have started the painting of the flat now. Getting a plumber and an electrician to check out various problems in the flat.
11. Sleep pattern, always bad, now completely spoilt, thanks to terrible jet lag. Neither melatonin or lorezepam is helping in the least, I've stopped taking them.
12. Decided not to fight Airtel who charged me for International Roaming for 5 months and never activated the service. Just don't have the energy for it!
I never know whether to go out and do the chores or wait for the people to come home for the repairs, delivery, etc. At every place, I am told, "Ask someone to be at home for the delivery (of gas, post, batteries, etc.) I *don't* have someone And I want to do my own chores, not take obligations from others.
But... I did manage to see two good plays, attend a wedding, volunteer for a children's event in Bandipur, go for a birding outing, and interview a bookstore owner, meet friends from out of town, make a start on cleaning up the flat...
It takes 2 to 3 weeks to get the systems in place after a long absence. Moral of the story...don't go away for more than a month. Or if you do...don't come back!