1. I have to reach the station only half an hour before the train, not two or three hours ahead of departure.
2. The railway station is 15 km away as opposed to the airport's 45 km. (which mandates a journey of its own).
3. I don't have horrible luggage restrictions which mean I cannot take an extra pair of socks.
4. I don't have to screen my luggage (well, except in Old Delhi Station).
5.I don't have to stand in long security check queues.
6. I don't need to have my sunscreen lotion and (yes, once) safety pins thrown away.
7. I can pack home food and lots of water for the journey.
8. I get a lot of free time on the train.
9. I have enough time to both strike up conversations with fellow passengers as well as commune with myself.
10. The view from the window is as spectucular as the one from the air.
11. I get a senior citizen's discount!
I can also add to this, that train travel is definitely more "green" than air travel...and that food on the train is mediumly priced junkola as opposed to exorbitantly priced junkola at airports and on flights.